Friday, September 5, 2008

Hide Root web from Breadcrumb navigation

I do not think I am the only one who suffered from this.
If you use the Variations technique to do a multi-lingual site and you want to have a Breadcrumb navigation there.
Then, what you get is: root web > Home > site1 …

But actually you do not want the “root web” AT ALL.
With the Variations, it is just a redirection to one of the Variations root, depending on language setting of the user.
If I have my PC setup language being to French, I get: root web > Accueil > site1 … # “Accueil” means “Home”. It is our top page for French speakers.
So to me, the “root web” appearing there is completely stupid.

I thought it is an everybody’s problem but could not find anybody have come to solve it. I needed to find one myself. Here it is.

I extended the builtin PortalSiteMapProvider, overriding its method GetParentNode() so it returns null for those Variations root node; Home, Accueil etc.

No comments: