Monday, March 2, 2009

Zip size limit, 32-bit and 64-bit


Still FTP migration.

Sometimes one folder is really big. Many files; each rather big. I had problems when unarchiving.
I do not copy it here but from the error message, it seems the upzip can not find the file end.

Found this page.
http://www.info-zip.org/FAQ.html#limits
Says the actual size limit for an archive file is 2G on 32-bit and 4G on 64-bit environment.
This explains.

Actually, in my case, the target is 64-bit Windows 2008. We migrate files from a Tru64 UNIX. 4G should be big enough.
However, the info-zip Unzip.exe that I mentioned that I have got in the last post is compiled against 32-bit DLLs, and it reads here (http://www.info-zip.org/board/board.pl?m-1235603338/) that there is no 64-bit Windows version available as of Feb 27/2009.
It says also that I should be able to compile it and can report for any problem. I might want to try that some other time when I am bored but not now.

So I used the –i and x options of zip command to include and exclude some type of file into one but not the other one, to keep one archive less than 2G.
The mission seemed completed but in course of doing this, I have lost the time stamps of some of the files…

No comments: