Wednesday, April 28, 2010

[MOSS 2007 public facing site] access to MS Office documents in Document Library

I am less and less certain if this is a right product…
This is THE most incredible and discouraging experience that I ever had with this product, which I have been working on to maintain our public internet site.

First of all, MANY MANY MANY thanks to the author of this blog post.
http://www.theblackknightsings.com/RemoveLoginBoxWhenAnonymousUsersDownloadOfficeDocumentFromSharePointSite.aspx
# BTW, the design is very funny. I thought it was a genuine error screen at the beginning.

The explanation is very clear, and so is the code. So I went straight plugging it in to our production site.
# I have at least compiled the DLL myself, and did a bit of test though.

We know that this product i.e. SharePoint is now widely used, especially with intranets, sites for collaboration and so on, where you know the users, they are all authenticated. However, for public facing internet sites such as ours where majority of users are anonymous, there are points overlooked, including ones as obvious as this one. And we users by ourselves need to apply workarounds… Hope with the coming 2010, it comes as a WCM product fully ready for public sites.

No comments: