Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Migrate FrontPage web from IIS6 to IIS7.5

After weeks of try and error, I think luckily I have archived what I wanted. Not 100% but to an acceptable level.

100% is to copy everything. Users would not even notice that it is moved. But that was not possible. I could not figure out how after all. The thing missing is user permission. That, I think I would re-setup manually. At least the admins. Then ask them to deal with their colleagues.

First, I write about the method that did not work for our site after all. I believe that is due to something particular with our site, which I could not figure out. I may have achieved the 100% if I could.

You copy the site to your new 2008 R2 server using msdeploy tool. http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/427/migrate-a-web-site-from-iis-60-to-iis-7/

You activate (“extend”) FPSE (FrontPage Server Extension) on the copied site.

At this point, you realize that the FP user permission are missing. This is what you should do: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robert_mcmurray/archive/2009/10/12/migrating-fpse-roles-between-servers.aspx.

In case your site is simple enough, this is the end of the story. You have achieved the 100%. However, with our site, the server health check repair did not work. It ends with an exception, without telling me what it does not like.

Giving up to copy the permission, I uninstall FPSE once then re-extend. Failed too. Stuck...

Here is the workaround that I found. I cannot activate FPSE on the fully copied site. Let us then have an empty FPSE enabled site first, and then pour the actual site data into it.

I created a blank web site, activate FPSE, and finally copy files from the old server with the following command.

msdeploy -verb:sync -source:metakey=lm/w3svc/1551257136 -dest:metakey=lm/w3svc/2,computername=newserver -skip:objectName=dirPath,absolutePath=.+_vti.+ -skip:objectName=metakey,absolutePath=.+vti.+ -skip:objectName=metaKey,absolutePath="fpexedll.dll"

The “-skip” parts are my invention. No documentation found. They are to not to copy FP related stuff. It looks work. All webs are copied, seem working. I can create FP web on them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your comments on migrating an FPSE-enabled site from IIS6 to IIS7+. I'm amazed by the lack of documentation and references to such a migration, even after extensive Google searches. I too have been struggling with such a migration. The site in question is in use by a large organization, with several thousand daily users and traffic of about 1M hits per month. It is also quite complicated with 25 subwebs, each of which have their own unique security.

Though we are using RTR FPSE on the new server (W2012R2), I have yet to get a successful port. The main part of the webpage works fine, the secured subwebs do not. And no amount of manipulation seems to help. I am going to try your suggestion and see if it helps.