Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Develop custom authentication module

Last week, I enjoyed developping a DNN module specific to our own need.
I do not know how I can best describe it but… the DotNetNuke seems to be a rich framework that we can develop our own customizations on top.

Things, or facilities it exposes for our use inlucde the ease in having properties of the module.
Each module has the end-user interface and configuration interface for the admins to set it up.
You design the configuration interface, listing textbox, checkbox etc for properties of your module. And in the code behind class, you override one method which is called when the admin, after filling those textbox, checkbox etc, clicks the link to save the config change.

I mean, for all these, I do not have to worry about. The framework is there.
What you have to do is just to, taking one of the exsting modues as sample, change the design of the config or enduser intergface or both user controls, and code the event handler method(s).

In addition to that, there are fuctions provided by the framework to save and pick up the value given to a property, into and from database.

I do not know if all this is documented somewhere in a publicly available document. Will let you know if I found it.

No comments: