Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Lock down the Internet facing Sharepoint site

There is such a command, but this post is not about that. It did not seem to me what I want.

I want to “lock down” the web site so nobody including me can modify it directly. We use the Content Deployment which pushes what we prepare, permission settings as well as contents, from the staging site to the internet facing site. So the modification should happen only at the staging site.

I said we copy the permissions. Our web site is very di-centralized. Every part has own group of people managing it. The management includes “targetting audiences”, restricting access in other words.

The solution I found is the “Policy for Web application”. It allows to say “Deny Write” for everybody.
This is good. Now even the site collection administrators can not modify it.

However then found that even the user used for the Content Deployment can not write into…

Then the solution found is to Extend the Web application, and define Internet zone for the actual service, Denying Write for everybody, while keeping the Default zone still writable.

No comments: